Ashes thrown from fireplace spark fire damaging East Side home, authorities say | Local News

0






EMILY HAMER, STATE JOURNAL ARCHIVES


Ashes thrown from a fireplace sparked a fire in a garbage can that damaged an East Side home Monday morning, the Madison Fire Department reported.

Fire crews were dispatched to the house in the 3800 block of Clover Lane at 11:43 a.m. and arrived at 11:47 a.m. to find a city-issued trash can burning with the fire spreading to the siding of the house, Fire Department spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster said. in a report.

Firefighters quickly pulled a line and extinguished the blaze, the owner arrived shortly after and firefighters checked inside, finding smoke in the basement but no fire damage, said Schuster.

Ashes from a recently used fireplace were thrown into a garbage can that was put back to the side of the house. As the fire developed, it damaged the home’s siding and soffit, as well as a nearby recycling bin, Schuster said.

No injuries were reported and the residents of the house were not moved.

Schuster said it can take up to 72 hours for the ashes and coals in a fireplace to cool completely, and should not be thrown in a trash can unless they are fire resistant and stored away from buildings and other objects that can burn.


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.