– Discarded materials lead to destructive fire at Pittston home, official says

PITTSTON — A fire apparently started by discarded materials on Wednesday damaged a home on Wiscasset Road, the fire chief said.

Pittston Fire Chief Joshua Johnson said firefighters were called to 850 Wiscasset Road around 4 p.m. after the homeowner discovered the fire. No one was injured in the fire.

“The owner did exactly the right thing by calling 911 immediately,” Johnson said. “Not everyone does that. Lots of people were trying to turn it off and waiting 10 minutes before calling. I can’t praise it enough.

Johnson said he was told the discarded materials that started the fire may have been cigarette butts in a container.

Gardiner firefighters Chris Poremby, left, and Brandon Melanson work to put out a fire Wednesday on Wiscasset Road in Pittston. Photo courtesy of Joshua Johnson

The fire damaged the house’s exterior siding and spread to the roof above the porch, causing smoke and water damage in the kitchen. Because the fire was brought under control quickly, firefighters salvaged everything they could and used high expansion foam on the fire to reduce the amount of damage.

Johnson said that because the fire had spread into some empty spaces in the roof, he didn’t want to send firefighters home before making sure there were no hot spots left.

“We do our best with salvage covers before we do our overhaul,” he said, “and we cover as much as we can, but there’s still water damage.”

A salvage tarp is a heat-resistant waterproof tarp.

Johnson estimated the damage from the fire at around $30,000. Pittston property records show the property is owned by Robert and Marlene Lamoreau.

In addition to Pittston, firefighters from Gardiner, Farmingdale, Randolph and West Gardiner responded.

” Previous

Following ”

Comments are closed.