Dozens displaced by building fire in Nashua, many say they ‘lost everything’

The presence of power lines outside the Ash Street residence created a challenge for firefighters. Photo / Jeffrey Hastings

NASHUA, New Hampshire – Dozens of people have been moved from their homes and lost everything a week before Christmas due to an early morning fire at a Nashua apartment building on Ash Street.

Fire crews arrived at 68 Ash Street at around 12:15 a.m. and discovered that a heavy fire was starting from the second floor and spreading rapidly. A second alarm was requested by providing mutual assistance from the surrounding municipalities, and the AMR ambulance.

Crews worked to fight the fire in the original building and protect the adjacent building where the coating was melting due to the intense heat. Firefighters entered the building and began searching for the occupants, and a third alarm was called for additional resources.

The firefighters were arrested by the presence of power lines in the immediate vicinity of several buildings. The small street was filled with fire engines.


Photo gallery / Jeffrey Hastings

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Chief Brian Rhodes has requested that the Emergency Management Office be notified and called to the scene to assist due to the large number of displaced residents. A Nashua Transit city bus was requested at the scene to shelter those who evacuated the building.

After about an hour, the fire was brought under control and crews worked to drive out any lingering hot spots. Eversource and Liberty Utilities have been asked to cut building service. A power line had fallen on the road and Eversource pulled it out to protect firefighters.

The building, which is a multi-unit building, has very large units that were occupied by several people, up to 30 to 40 people according to initial estimates. The Emergency Management Office will work with residents and the American Red Cross to coordinate accommodation.

Christmas decorations hung on the fence in front of the house reminded everyone that there was less than a week until Christmas. Residents shared that many of them lost almost everything they owned in the fire.

The blaze is under investigation by the Nashua Fire Marshal’s Office.

American Red Cross VT / NH – 800-464-6692



Source link

Comments are closed.